Friday, October 23, 2015

Last thoughts of the day

How does one gauge if someone is recovering well from major brain surgery?  We started by checking for feeling in her arms and legs, particularly the left side.  We also wanted to see how her verbal abilities were, by saying a few words.  We have blown past that standard!  Julia has stolen my phone and is talking to her friends, using her left hand to hold the phone.  First one conversation in Ukrainian, and now one in English.  I should have bet the nurse who said she would not be hungry at breakfast time tomorrow.  She was so hungry this evening, Libby had to go out and find some food for her (she ate a half of a grilled cheese sandwich, and has finished off her second cup of sprite).  She has some level of pain from the surgery, but is not really acting like it is that bad.  But I suppose morphine can do that for you.  I tried to take a picture of her, but she fussed at me, so instead I will post a picture of myself.  Yes, believe it not, Libby let me roam around the hospital dressed like this.  It was evening, and I had to run out to the car, and didn't feel like getting dressed again.  Sorry, children, if this overly distresses you.  I will try to get a picture of Julia's incision tomorrow - it is quite impressive!

2 comments:

  1. Sine the pic isn't showing up I'm guessing long johns, gym shorts, white v neck tshirt and flip flops?! Glad Julia is doing so well...hope the problem is solved!

    ReplyDelete