Thursday, September 26, 2013

Treading water, day 2

Just hanging out in Romney, killing time.  Today, the sun came out in the morning, but it is raining again this evening.  After today' sweltering high of 52, the temperature will steadily decline.  By the middle of next week, the high is supposed to be in the low 40s and the low near freezing.  Even though I tease Libby about it, there is a real life chance we will see snow before we leave.  The heater in the room is adequate to moderate the chill, but our clothes have been hanging up for a day and a half and still are not dry.  They better dry soon - I need underwear!

We went walking around the market today with the Foxes.  They met a young (single) man who just graduated from the university with a degree in Physics, who is working on his English, so he has been hanging out with the Foxes.  We got to meet him today - very nice.  His name is Andrew.  I did not bring a hat with me, not thinking it would get quite this cold, so Andrew took me to the market booth with hats.  Now I can keep my ears warm. We also ate at a tiny roadside food kiosk that made something like chicken wraps, with cabbage, cucumbers and tomatoes in it.  Very yummy, especially since I had mine made with no tomatoes.  We wandered into the old Orthodox Church.  It is in pretty bad condition on the inside.  It would be beautiful if someone had a couple of million to invest in it, so it is not likely to be restored soon.  The outside has been mostly repainted and maintained, so the exterior looks nice.

We met with Julia again today.  She is very anxious to get to Alabama.  She and Inna keep asking what the timeline is every time they see us (as does Virginia every time I talk to her).  I took Julia shopping today to get a coat, some shoes, and some jeans.  I don't mind buying her clothes, of course, but this is one more area that it is hard to get a straight answer.  Does Julia have clothes or not? Can she leave the country with them? With some of them? Will someone steal the clothes I just bought?  I really don't know.  I just keep smiling and trying to show love to this poor girl, and trust that even if I waste a few hundred dollars, the investment into her will far outweigh whatever gets lost in the shuffle.

This has gotten long enough.  Here is a picture, just for humor's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment