Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ukrainian money

I have seen various spellings for the money, but I think it is Hryvnia, or some variant of that.  We just went to the bank to switch some dollars to hryvnias.  I forgot to save a 200 and a 5, but here are most of the others.  Conversion rate right now is roughly $1 to 8 hryvnia.  Fortunately, cost of living in Romny is pretty low, which helps tremendously with the surprise added expense of paying room and board for our facilitator.  For those planning on coming here to adopt, I did not do the mental exercise of actually calculating transportation costs.  $0.43 per kilometer sounds fairly benign, but from Kiev to Romny, then on to Sumy because Sveta is in summer camp right now, back to Romny, and then our driver returned to Kiev - he hit me with a $330 dollar bill.  I was not prepared for that.  It is in the manual - I just glossed over it.

Anyway, here is a picture of the local currency.

No comments:

Post a Comment