Monday, October 21, 2013

Bombs Away

I may as well get right to the point.  I called the embassy this morning to discuss the recent email I received from the Immigration Officer.  Their suggestion to me was to contact my Senators and Representative.  So I finally took the restraints off of my faithful friends and family to make these calls.  We hope that will help oil the gears of the massive bureaucracy that has such trouble granting a child who has been legally our daughter for over a month, access to her new country.  
Today was sunny and the warmest we have had in while.  I think we got to 61 today.  We went on a trek to try and find fresh fruit and vegetables.  The stuff in the stores is junk.  We headed on a pretty long walk to what was supposed to be a large market, but all the entrances were blocked, and the person I asked for entrance said "nyet!"  Perhaps this is something one needs to get to early in the morning, so I might hike down there in the morning.  We also finally discovered the reason for Julia's reluctance to take a shower.  She left the orphanage with no underwear and was too shy to tell us.  So on our hike for vegetables, we stopped and purchased teenage girl underwear.  I tried to act nonchalant during this exercise, but I doubt I was successful.  How cool can a 53 year old man look while surrounded by brazilian cut panties and pink and purple bras?  On the way back to the apartment, while we in the underground shop area, we realized it was way past lunch.  fortunately for us, Julia speaks the native language (imagine that!) and we ordered what turned out to be a hotdog cooked in a bread roll.  It was good, and inexpensive.  All three of us ate for $2.  After we got back, I remembered seeing good produce by the historic Golden Gate, so we headed out in the opposite direction.  I remembered correctly.  We hit the mother load, getting fresh carrots, potatoes, peppers, onions, grapes, apples.  Tonight, we finally felt like we had the ingredients to prepare a good meal.  It was nothing fancy, but really good.  
(I don't know why these pictures are upside down.  Sorry if it makes you seasick)


No comments:

Post a Comment