Thursday, October 24, 2013

Progress on the Horizon

Libby and I got up out of bed and walked over to the market this morning.  We got stocked up on fruits and vegetables, and even purchased some meat there.  They had remarkable looking fish, but I don't know what we would do with it.  Walked all the way home.  Then Libby decided she needed a vegetable peeler.  We asked someone in the office of the place we are staying, and it was supposed to be in the next building past the market.  I strapped on my trusty tennis shoes (I sure hope they last the entire trip) and walked back to the entrance to which I was instructed to enter.  This was not a kitchen ware place.  It was a five story way-upper end mall.  As I worked my way up, floor after floor, I was quickly assessed by every shop employee I passed as someone who clearly was not going to have nearly enough money to even enter their store.  But it was fun wandering around where the upper 5% would shop.  Back out on the street, wandering around, and I spied a possibility.  The story could get long here, but I will abbreviate.  I found another huge underground mall, which normal people were allowed to frequent, but it was very maze-like.  Somehow, at the end of the last hallway I was going to  search, I found a veggie peeler. (As it turns out, after all that, not a very good one).  We prepared supper and had the missionary family over (the Eides).  It was fun, and they did a good job of translating things so Julia was included.  In the middle of supper, a great phone call.  Julia's passport is ready, so Libby and Julia are going to Sumy to pick it up.  I am skipping this trip.  The last wild ride hurt my back some, so I don't want to aggravate it any more.  Nothing bad, I just don't want to give it 8-10 hours of pounding in one shot.
Here is some of our haul from the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment